Friday, October 1, 2010

Gluten-Free Fudge Brownies

Welcome to my first 21 for 31 recipe!

I found this recipe on allrecipes.com by searching "gluten-free". These are yummy, and pretty cheap, too. One thing I like about these brownies is that they only use 2/3 cup flour, per batch.

I modified the recipe a little though - I used a 9 x 13 pan (instead of an 8 x 8), because I read the reviews and they said that it rises and overflows the pan a lot (when using an 8x8). I used 3 eggs (the recipe said 2), because the batter was like cookie dough, it just seemed way to thick. I used only 3/4 tsp. baking soda (instead of 1 tsp) the second time I made them, because the first time I made this recipe it would rise then fall, so I thought I'd just experiment a little. I used lard (softened) instead of the margarine the first time, and the second time I used 1/2 lard and 1/2 oil. Also, I used mostly white sugar, since we sometimes don't have much brown. They turned out great with only 3/4 tsp. baking soda, and the other changes I made.

Anyway, so here is the recipe with my changes:

Gluten-free Fudge Brownies

  • 2/3 cup gluten-free baking mix (such as Bob's Red Mill All Purpose GF Baking Flour®)
  • 1/2 cup cornstarch
  • 2 cups white sugar (or 1/2 brown and 1/2 white)
  • 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 3 eggs, beaten
  • 3/4 cup lard, softened or 1/2 oil and 1/2 lard

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, and grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.

2. Mix together all of the dry ingredients. Pour in the wet ingredients and mix with a large spoon or electric mixer on low until the mixture forms a smooth batter. Scrape batter into prepared baking dish.

3. 





Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of the brownies comes out clean, about 40 to 45 minutes.




Another thing I did - The other day I doubled the recipe, and only mixed together the dry ingredients - I put it in a container with the instructions and ingredients on the top (since there is only 2 wet ingredients). So now, when I want to make brownies I just dump all the dry ingredients that I already mixed up in a bowl, add the wet ingredients, pour in the pans and bake. This is also a good idea to do for gifts - you could mix up the dry ingredients like I did and put it in bags and give away.




31 for 21 Blog Challenge!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments? Suggestions? I like hearing from you!

new design + name

As of 1-3-12: I've re-named my blog name (which used to be "Hanunyah's Sweet Creations") to "Ranch Girl's Sweets 'N' Treats". "Sweet Creations" is a pretty common name, so I figured I'd change it to something a little different ;). My URL is still the same, though.

Also, a big thanks goes to my older sister (@ CountryGirlWebDesign.com) who has re-designed my blog and fixed-up all of the HTML. So, I hope you enjoy the new layout!