Saturday, October 2, 2010

Oat Flour

You make oat flour by simply grinding up uncooked oats in your blender or food processor, then you can substitute it for regular flour in some recipes. I made a Buttery Cinnamon Cake with the oat flour, used it to thicken pudding once, and used it for some small amounts of flour in recipes as well. This one pancake recipe I tried used only oat flour. They turned out sooo yummy and moist - we really liked them. The recipe didn't mention xanthan gum, but I added some because they were falling apart. The oat flour and oat flour pancake recipes are from cooks.com

So, here are the recipes - 

Ground Oat Flour
Place 1 1/4 cups quick oats or old fashioned uncooked in blender or food processor. Blend about 1 minute, stopping blender to stir occasionally. Makes 1 cup.

TIP: To make larger amounts of ground oat flour, repeat above directions to produce amount needed. Ground oat flour can be made ahead and stored in tightly covered container and stored in cool, dry place up to 6 months.

Oat Flour Pancakes




2 c. oat flour
2 eggs
2 c. milk or water
1/2 c. oil
3 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt, optional
Xanthan gum (about 1/2 tsp would work)




Add dry ingredients together and mix lightly. Next add milk and water; stir. Add oil and 1 egg at a time. Mix thoroughly. Warm pan or griddle to medium with 1 teaspoon butter or oil. Pour a few tablespoons mix at a time.




31 for 21 Blog Challenge!



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments? Suggestions? I like hearing from you!

new design + name

As of 1-3-12: I've re-named my blog name (which used to be "Hanunyah's Sweet Creations") to "Ranch Girl's Sweets 'N' Treats". "Sweet Creations" is a pretty common name, so I figured I'd change it to something a little different ;). My URL is still the same, though.

Also, a big thanks goes to my older sister (@ CountryGirlWebDesign.com) who has re-designed my blog and fixed-up all of the HTML. So, I hope you enjoy the new layout!