Tuesday, October 16, 2012

31 for 21: Peanut Butter Cookies


Un-traditional traditional peanut butter cookies. What? In other words, peanut butter cookies, traditional as in criss-cross, flour containing cookies - with a different kind of flour than typically made with.

The other kind of peanut butter cookies are those 3-ingredient-flourless-easy-peasy type. There's a time for those, and a time for these more traditional ones. Have no flour, or just don't want to mess with it? Make those ones with no flour. Maybe you're low on peanut butter? Here's this recipe that uses less peanut butter and makes more cookies because it has other ingredients.


Oh, and this recipe is also courtesy of my sister Suriyah ;).

Peanut Butter Cookies (Gluten-free, Dairy-free)
Adapted from got milk? the cookie book

1/2 cup lard (or shortening or butter)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1 egg
3/4 teaspoon vanilla (optional)
1 1/2 cups gluten-free flour (we use rice)
1 teaspoon baking soda

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

2. In a large bowl, beat the lard and sugars until light and fluffy; beat in the peanut butter, egg and vanilla. Add the flour  baking soda. Mix well.

3. Shape the dough into balls and drop them about 3 inches apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Flatten each cookie by pressing a fork into the center in a criss-cross pattern. If the fork sticks to the dough, wet the fork.

4. Bake for about 15 minutes, or until the cookies just begin to color. Let sit for a few minutes, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.

~ Hanunyah

31 for 21 is a blog challenge to raise Down Syndrome awareness 1 blog at a time. The challenge is to blog everyday the whole month of October (31 days) to raise awareness for Down Syndrome (aka Trisomy 21). This is the 6th Annual 31 for 21 Challenge.

2 comments:

  1. These sound Yummy. So glad I came across your blog on a google search for oat flour recipes. I will try these soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Surprised you found me on Google, glad you found me. I hope you like them!

    ReplyDelete

Questions? Comments? Suggestions? I like hearing from you!

new design + name

As of 1-3-12: I've re-named my blog name (which used to be "Hanunyah's Sweet Creations") to "Ranch Girl's Sweets 'N' Treats". "Sweet Creations" is a pretty common name, so I figured I'd change it to something a little different ;). My URL is still the same, though.

Also, a big thanks goes to my older sister (@ CountryGirlWebDesign.com) who has re-designed my blog and fixed-up all of the HTML. So, I hope you enjoy the new layout!