Sunday, October 28, 2012

31 for 21: Big Batch Pear Butter/Sauce

A pretty picture my one of my sisters took on the way home from soccer.
We picked up a ton of crisp, sweet pears from somebody's back yard the other day (with permission of course). They are very good fresh, but when you have this many you've gotta figure out something to do with them.

Last night my siblings and friends cut pears for about an hour . . . and just dented the pile. Mom made pear sauce/butter. She creates recipes by gleaning ideas from different recipes off of the internet, then adding her own touch.

This is a recipe in season, and a good one.

Big Batch Pear Butter/Sauce
Mom Creation
(Refined Sugar-free, Grain-free, Gluten-free, Dairy-free, Corn-free)

40 cups pureed pears*
1 cup apple cider vinegar
1 cup honey
2  teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon allspice

Combine all ingredients in a very large roast pan. Place in a 250 degree F. oven overnight, 6 to 8 hours.  (In other words, go to bed and have it for breakfast :) ).

Notes:
*Yes, approximately 40 cups of pureed pears WITH THE SKIN. It is much faster and easier (besides the nutrients in the skin) to puree them with the skin still on. Just cut them to get out the middle part with the seeds. Puree them in a blender, food processor or vita-mix (with a little water) and proceed with the recipe.


~ Hanunyah

31 for 21 is a blog challenge to raise Down Syndrome awareness 1 blog at a time. The challenge is to blog everyday the whole month of October (31 days) to raise awareness for Down Syndrome (aka Trisomy 21). This is the 6th Annual 31 for 21 Challenge.

Link Parties:
Gluten-Free Wednesdays @ The Gluten-Free Homemaker

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments? Suggestions? I like hearing from you!

new design + name

As of 1-3-12: I've re-named my blog name (which used to be "Hanunyah's Sweet Creations") to "Ranch Girl's Sweets 'N' Treats". "Sweet Creations" is a pretty common name, so I figured I'd change it to something a little different ;). My URL is still the same, though.

Also, a big thanks goes to my older sister (@ CountryGirlWebDesign.com) who has re-designed my blog and fixed-up all of the HTML. So, I hope you enjoy the new layout!