Thursday, October 25, 2012

31 for 21: Oatmeal Cake

Although I take most of the photos around here, my sister took this beautiful one.
Chilly Willy! (who's Willy? I'm not exactly sure, but I think he's related to Winter). A cold snap here today . . . One more reason to BAKE! Other reasons? It's fall, there's lots of pumpkins around! That's why you should bake a nice oatmeal cake and spread some pumpkin butter on it, perhaps with a hot cup of tea or coffee. Better yet, a Pumpkin Spiced Latte.

And this recipe? Yeah, it's another one from my awesome sister, Suriyah. (P.S. She's behind be in the kitchen right now making frosting. I have to go check on my timer that's beeping . . . I'm fixing her failure :) ).

Okay, I'm back. Here's the recipe.

Oatmeal Cake (Gluten-free, Dairy-free, Corn-free)
Adapted from Food.com

1 1/2 cups boiling water
1 cup oats

1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup fat (we use lard. Butter may be use, if not DF)
1 1/3 cups rice flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup raisins, chopped dates or nuts (optional)

1. In a small bowl, pour boiling water over oats. Set aside.
2. Cream sugars and fat. Add flour, soda, cinnamon, eggs, vanilla and the oat mixture. Mix well.
4. Pour into a greased 9 x 13" baking dish and bake for 30-40 minutes at 350 degrees F.


~ Hanunyah

31 for 21 is a blog challenge to raise Down Syndrome awareness 1 blog at a time. The challenge is to blog everyday the whole month of October (31 days) to raise awareness for Down Syndrome (aka Trisomy 21). This is the 6th Annual 31 for 21 Challenge.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments? Suggestions? I like hearing from you!

new design + name

As of 1-3-12: I've re-named my blog name (which used to be "Hanunyah's Sweet Creations") to "Ranch Girl's Sweets 'N' Treats". "Sweet Creations" is a pretty common name, so I figured I'd change it to something a little different ;). My URL is still the same, though.

Also, a big thanks goes to my older sister (@ CountryGirlWebDesign.com) who has re-designed my blog and fixed-up all of the HTML. So, I hope you enjoy the new layout!