Thursday, December 2, 2010

Chocolate Macaroon Cake

I made this the other day, and it was a hit. The cake was moist, and the glaze perfect. The whole combo was really good.

This is this cake when I made it for my Grandma's B-day party


Chocolate Macaroon Cak (Gluten-free)

Coconut-Macaroon Filling
Reserved egg white (from one of the 4 eggs that will go into the cake)
1/4 cup sugar
1 cup shredded coconut
1 Tablespoon gluten-free flour
1 teaspoon vanilla

Chocolate Cake
2 cups gluten-free flour

1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum (if you have it - I forgot to put it in, and it turned out fine)
1 3/4 cups sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons vanilla
3/4 cup cold water
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup sour cream (or milk, that's what I used)
4 eggs (reserve 1 white for filling)



Chocolate Glaze
1 cup powdered sugar
2 (
1 ounce) squares unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled (I used 6 Tablespoons cocoa and 2 Tablespoons oil)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1-2 Tablespoons warm water



1. Generously grease the bundt pan and preheat your oven to 350 degrees. 


For Coconut-Macaroon Filling: In small mixer bowl, beat egg white at high speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar and beat until stiff peaks form. By hand, stir in coconut, flour and vanilla; blend well and set aside.

2. For 
Cake: In large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients for cake. Blend at low speed until moistened, then beat 3 minutes at medium speed scraping the bowl often.

Pour chocolate batter into prepared bundt pan. Drop teaspoonfuls of coconut-macaroon filling over chocolate batter until you have an even ring around the cake.

3. Bake cake at 350 degrees for 55-60 minutes until top springs back when touched lightly in the center of the cake. 
Be careful not to overbake, as this will result in a dry cake.

Cool 20 minutes, then place plate on top and invert cake to remove from pan. Let cool completely before glazing so glaze doesn't melt.

4. For Glaze: In small mixing bowl combine glaze ingredients. I used a whisk to mix everything well. Use enough warm water so that it reaches a glaze consistency and can be poured over the cake and run down the sides.














0 comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments? Suggestions? I like hearing from you!

new design + name

As of 1-3-12: I've re-named my blog name (which used to be "Hanunyah's Sweet Creations") to "Ranch Girl's Sweets 'N' Treats". "Sweet Creations" is a pretty common name, so I figured I'd change it to something a little different ;). My URL is still the same, though.

Also, a big thanks goes to my older sister (@ CountryGirlWebDesign.com) who has re-designed my blog and fixed-up all of the HTML. So, I hope you enjoy the new layout!