Sunday, August 22, 2010

Fruit flavored Divinity (My first try at Divinity!)

This is another recipe I found in my Wilton candy cookbook. It is flavored with a 3- oz fruit flavored gelatin packet. In the book it was called "Prize Winning Cherry Divinity" and you were suppose to use cherry gelatin, but I didn't have cherry so I used strawberry. I didn't put the candied fruit on top, because I didn't have any. I used a 9x13" pan plus a 9x5" (I think) loaf pan and sprayed the foil with Crisco. This was the first time I have made divinity.

Somethings I may have did wrong are that I think I beat the egg whites past the stiff peaks stage, and they were pretty dry. Another thing, I don't know if this makes much of a difference, but I heated the syrup mixture a little past the 252 F mark - I think I heated it to 255 F. But, I was running around in the kitchen with the camera, snapping pics, checking on the syrup mixture on the stove, checking on the whites, and looking at the cookbook to see if I was doing it all right!

I don't know if it turned out how it was suppose to, but everyone liked it, and now, there's only a few pieces left 2 days later :).

Fruit Divinity
3 cups granulated sugar
3/4 cup corn syrup
3/4 cup water
2 egg whites
1- 3 oz packet fruit flavored gelatin
1 cup candied cherries
Line an 10" square pan with foil and butter the foil. Chop and measure the cherries. Place egg whites in large bowl of mixer.


1. Combine sugar, corn syrup and water in a three-quart saucepan. Set over high heat and stir constantly until all sugar crystals are dissolved. Clip on thermometer and cook, without stirring, to 252 F (122 C). Remove from heat.

2. As mixture is cooking, beat egg whites with mixer set at highest speed. When peaks form, sprinkle gelatin over egg whites and continue beating until well blended. Scrape sides of bowl frequently.

3. Pour hot cooked syrup over beaten egg white mixture in a thin stream as you continue beating a high speed. Do not scrape bottom of pan. Test by dropping a bit of candy on wax paper. If it is glossy and holds its shape, candy is finished.

4. Scrape into prepared pan with a rubber scraper. Swirl from center to sides of pan to level. If necessary, dip a spatula in hot water and press lightly to smooth. Sprinkle with cherries evenly other surface of candy and press with spatula dipped in cold water. Cool until firm at room temperature, about 4 hours. Dip a long sharp knife in cold water and cut into 1" squares. Store, uncut and closely covered with foil or plastic wrap, in the refrigerator up to 3 weeks. Yield: 100 pieces.

beating the whites (they're not done beating)

cooking the syrup


mixing in the gelatin

in the pan


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments? Suggestions? I like hearing from you!

new design + name

As of 1-3-12: I've re-named my blog name (which used to be "Hanunyah's Sweet Creations") to "Ranch Girl's Sweets 'N' Treats". "Sweet Creations" is a pretty common name, so I figured I'd change it to something a little different ;). My URL is still the same, though.

Also, a big thanks goes to my older sister (@ CountryGirlWebDesign.com) who has re-designed my blog and fixed-up all of the HTML. So, I hope you enjoy the new layout!