Friday, August 13, 2010

Sparkle Jells & Fruit Balls Candy

Both of these recipes are from THE COMPLETE Wilton BOOK OF Candy.

The Fruit Balls were yummy, a little chewy and fruity - they're also easy to make. I only made them once and used lime flavored jell-o. The thing that takes the longest with them is that you have to roll all of them into balls. They were not perfectly round balls, but kind of the shape of a small cookie. Next time I make them I will probably just pour it into an 8x8 pan, chill in the refrigerator until firm then cut into squares - that would be much faster. You wouldn't have to roll them in the flaked coconut if you don't want to, you could just roll them in something else (hint: chocolate chips, crushed?) or nothing.

Fruit Balls
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1/3 cup butter (I used lard)
1 (3 oz) package fruit flavored gelatin (flavor of your choice)
1 pound (I used about 2 cups) confectioner's (powdered) sugar
flaked coconut (about 1 1/2 cups), for rolling

Line an 8" square pan with foil and butter the foil. Line a cookie sheet with waxed paper (I just used plates).
Combine corn syrup, butter and gelatin in a three-quart saucepan. Stir constantly over heat (I think I used medium) until gelatin is completely dissolved. Add the sugar, about a third at a time, stirring until well blended after each addition. Remove from heat and pour into prepared pan. When candy is cool enough to handle, take of teaspoon-sized portions from the mixture and and roll between your palms into balls. Roll in coconut if desired. Place on cookie sheets and allow to harden (they won't get hard like hard candy). Store in a plastic bag (you could probably use an air-tight container) in the refrigerator. Yield: about 50.



The Sparkle Jells were good, but I probably won't make again. Although, they are a refreshing fruit snack, would be great for decorating, are easy to make, and have 2 ingredients. If you want, you could try it and see what you think.

Sparkle Jells
1 cup water
2 (3 oz) packages (or 1 6 oz package) fruit-flavored gelatin

Oil a 6" square pan (I used 8" square).
Bring the water to a full boil in saucepan, remove from heat and add gelatin. Stir constantly until gelatin is completely dissolved. If necessary, place pan over very low heat and continue stirring until dissolved, but do not allow to boil. Pour into prepared pan and refrigerate until firm. Cut unto 1" squares. Yield: 36 squares.








3 comments:

  1. Hooray ... another Okie with a fondness for the Wilton book!

    Did your sparkle jells turn loose from the molds easily? I'm thinking of using my pi-symbol ice-cube tray to make a batch for my Algebra I kids, but the mold is a bit temperamental, so I'm not sure how well it will work. Your thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I was given the book by a friend - I looked through it and it has some good recipes!

    The candies came out easily - I just ran a knife around the mold, and they popped out. But, the mold that I used was bendable, so that probably helped. All I did is greased them with Crisco cooking spray, then poured the Sparkle Jell syrup in. If you could, I would just try a batch with the mold before hand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! I don't know how well it adheres to your dietary requirements, but the basic truffle recipe in that book is amazing. It just has two ingredients -- chocolate and heavy cream -- and is very easy to make. You can also adjust the proportions a bit (a little more cream, a little less chocolate) to make a spectacular ganache for topping cakes and whatnot. Lovely stuff.

    ReplyDelete

Questions? Comments? Suggestions? I like hearing from you!

new design + name

As of 1-3-12: I've re-named my blog name (which used to be "Hanunyah's Sweet Creations") to "Ranch Girl's Sweets 'N' Treats". "Sweet Creations" is a pretty common name, so I figured I'd change it to something a little different ;). My URL is still the same, though.

Also, a big thanks goes to my older sister (@ CountryGirlWebDesign.com) who has re-designed my blog and fixed-up all of the HTML. So, I hope you enjoy the new layout!