Friday, August 20, 2010

Fluffy Uncooked Marshmallows

These are basic, easy uncooked marshmallows. I got the recipe from my Wilton candy book. I only had to beat them 9 minutes at the highest speed of the stand mixer. The mixture was stiff and hard to spread in the pan, but I think I let the gelatin/water mixture sit a little too long. I didn't tumble them in the cornstarch/pwd. sugar mixture because I thought we didn't have cornstarch and they were getting eaten up anyway :-). I used a 8x8 pan and sprayed it with Criso.

Fluffy Uncooked Marshmallows

2 Tbsp unflavored gelatin
1/3 cup cold water
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2/3 cup corn syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup confectioners' (powdered) sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch

Prepare an 8x8" pan.
1. Combine gelatin and cold water in the top pan of a double boiler. Let stand 5 minutes or until gelatin is firm. Bring water in lower pan to a simmer, set top pan in position and stir until clear and syrupy. Add sugar and stir until sugar crystals are dissolved.

2. Pour gelatin mixture into large mixer bowl. Add corn syrup and flavoring, then beat at highest speed of mixer. Test after twelve minutes. If mixture is very light and fluffy and ribbons dropped from beaters hold their shape on the surface of mixture, candy is finished. Remove from bowl with a rubber scraper and spread unto prepared pan. Swirl from center to edge of pan to level. Refrigerate overnight.

3. Next morning, blend cornstarch and confectioners' sugar and sift onto a cookie sheet with 1" sides. Loosen sides of marshmallow with a small spatula dipped in cold water. Invert onto cookie sheet. Heap cornstarch mixture over surface of marshmallow. Remove to cutting board and cut into long 1" wide strips with a serrated knife dipped in cold water. Tumble strips in cornstarch mixture, then cut each into 1" squares with scissors dipped in cold water. Tumble squares in cornstarch mixture and allow to dry on cookie sheet. After about an hour, tumble squares once more and dry. Brush with a clean dry pastry brush. Store in a tightly closed container for as long as three weeks at room temperature. Yield: 64



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments? Suggestions? I like hearing from you!

new design + name

As of 1-3-12: I've re-named my blog name (which used to be "Hanunyah's Sweet Creations") to "Ranch Girl's Sweets 'N' Treats". "Sweet Creations" is a pretty common name, so I figured I'd change it to something a little different ;). My URL is still the same, though.

Also, a big thanks goes to my older sister (@ CountryGirlWebDesign.com) who has re-designed my blog and fixed-up all of the HTML. So, I hope you enjoy the new layout!