Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Coconut Candy Bars

These were yummy - chewy and chocolate coating topping it off. The recipe called for almonds to put on top before baking, but I didn't use them. I didn't use the vanilla either. I put some of the batter in greased small muffin pans, instead of shaping into bars on a cookie sheet. These are easy to make also.

The only expensive part is the chocolate - they would still be good without chocolate, but it does make them better. I halved the recipe once (because we only had 1 egg . . . and guess where I went to get it? The chicken coop :-) ) anyway, they still turned out great. People said they tasted like Mounds.


Coconut Candy Bars
2 (large) egg whites
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp kosher salt
2 cups sweetened flaked coconut
2 cups chocolate chips or chopped chocolate

1. Preheat oven to 350 F, and grease a rimmed baking sheet. 

2. Combine the egg whites, sugar, vanilla, and salt in a bowl and mix with a fork. Don't beat the egg whites, but just make sure the mixture is well blended. Fold in the coconut. The batter will be stiff, like oatmeal.

3. Spoon about 2 tablespoons of the batter onto the cookie sheet and shape into a log. Repeat with remaining batter. You should have about 1 dozen bars.

4. Bake for 13 to 17 minutes (check after 13), or until the bars are just brown at the edges. Let cool 1 minute, transfer to a wire rack and let cool about 30 minutes or until completely cool.

5. Cover the baking sheet with foil, wax or parchment paper and have it ready.

6. In a microwave-safe bowl, heat the chocolate on high for 1 minute, and stir well to distribute the heat. Heat for 1 minute more, and stir again. Heat for and additional 30 to 60 seconds, stirring thoroughly with a fork.

7. Using 2 forks, drop a bar into the chocolate and coat lightly on all sides, then transfer to the cookie sheet. Dip the remaining bars. If the chocolate layer gets too thick or your chocolate starts to get stiff, heat the chocolate for 1 minute more, stirring well to distribute the heat.

8. Leave the finished candies at room temperature for about 4 hours, or until completely cool. Store in an airtight container at room temperature, up to 2 weeks.

bars that are not dipped in the chocolate yet



And, to the  little leftover chocolate I added some mini marshmallows


Linked to Shindig Saturday by Kims Kandy Kreations

1 comment:

  1. Oh Yum! I LOVE mounds candy bars and just love the thought of making these. I am pinning and I think I'll try making these this weekend as a special treat for myself while hubby's away. (Then I don't have to share, right?)

    Thanks for sharing on Shindig Saturday! At least these are healthy so I won't have to walk an extra few miles on my daily walks, right? Coconut is healthy after all?!

    ReplyDelete

Questions? Comments? Suggestions? I like hearing from you!

new design + name

As of 1-3-12: I've re-named my blog name (which used to be "Hanunyah's Sweet Creations") to "Ranch Girl's Sweets 'N' Treats". "Sweet Creations" is a pretty common name, so I figured I'd change it to something a little different ;). My URL is still the same, though.

Also, a big thanks goes to my older sister (@ CountryGirlWebDesign.com) who has re-designed my blog and fixed-up all of the HTML. So, I hope you enjoy the new layout!