Monday, November 28, 2011

Whoopie Pies


There are many kinds of whoopie pies - pumpkin, red velvet, peanut butter, banana, etc. There are so many kinds that there are books with just whoopie pie recipes. But, the traditional is made with soft chocolate cookies and vanilla cream filling.

I am learning how to bake with oat flour. It is very interesting. Gluten-free baking in general (let alone "regular" baking) is kitchen science . . . much to learn. I have just touched the tip of the iceberg, so to speak. You have to learn to expand your horizon, not just follow recipes. That's when it gets fun. You'll most likely have flops somewhere along the line, but finally success comes in if you press on.



For the filling, I made a simple powdered sugar frosting: Beat together a few tablespoons lard or shortening and about 3 cups powdered sugar, adding enough water for the right consistency. Add about a teaspoon or more vanilla.


Whoopie Pies (Gluten, Dairy, Corn-free)
Adapted from Epicurious.com



1/2 cup lard
1 cup sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups oat or other gluten-free flour
1/2 cup dark cocoa powder
1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda*
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup water

1. Preheat oven to 350°F.

2. Beat together lard and sugar in a large bowl, then add egg, beating until combined well. Add remaining ingredients and mix well.

3. Drop by teaspoonfulls (or whatever size you want) onto large greased baking sheets. Bake in preheated oven for 8 to 14 minutes (depending on size of cookies), until the top is set. Transfer with a metal spatula to a rack to cool completely.

4. Spread filling on bottom side of half of cookies. Top with remaining cookies.

Notes:
*The first few I baked I left the baking soda out to see how they would do. I later added some baking soda to the batter. But, I liked how the ones turned out without the baking soda - they held together way better than the ones with the baking soda. The ones with the baking soda were puffier, but if I made these again I probably would not use the baking soda, unless using some kind of gum to hold them together.



~ Hanunyah

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments? Suggestions? I like hearing from you!

new design + name

As of 1-3-12: I've re-named my blog name (which used to be "Hanunyah's Sweet Creations") to "Ranch Girl's Sweets 'N' Treats". "Sweet Creations" is a pretty common name, so I figured I'd change it to something a little different ;). My URL is still the same, though.

Also, a big thanks goes to my older sister (@ CountryGirlWebDesign.com) who has re-designed my blog and fixed-up all of the HTML. So, I hope you enjoy the new layout!