Friday, November 25, 2011

Oatmeal Creme Pies

Crunchy, chewy, creamy sweet treats - CCC's? (crunchy, chewy, creamy ;) ).
I hope you had a good Thanksgiving! Here is a recipe for one of the cookies I made. It took a few tries for these to come out good, but once they did they were great! These are like Little Debbie's Oatmeal Creme Pies (without the additives). They were gone pretty fast.


For the filling, I just made a simple powdered sugar frosting: Beat together a few tablespoons lard or shortening and about 3 cups powdered sugar, adding enough water for the right consistency. Add vanilla and maybe some spices - to taste ;).

Oatmeal Creme Pies (Gluten, Dairy, Corn-free)
Adapted from Sugar Bananas


1 cup lard (or shortening)
1 1/4 cups sugar (brown or white)
2 tablespoons molasses or sorghum syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla, optional
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups oat flour
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 1/2 cups safe quick oats

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

2. Cream lard, sugars, molasses and vanilla. Add eggs one at a time, mixing completely after each addition. Add remaining ingredients and mix until well combined.

3. Drop small teaspoons onto greased cookie sheets. Bake for 6 to 9 minutes (depending on how big they are), until set on top. The bottoms will be medium to dark brown.


~ Hanunyah


P.S. We've had a few long nights = my brain is tired, so don't expect long posts the next few days ;).


Linked to Foodie Friday and Frugal Friday
        The Shabby Nest

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments? Suggestions? I like hearing from you!

new design + name

As of 1-3-12: I've re-named my blog name (which used to be "Hanunyah's Sweet Creations") to "Ranch Girl's Sweets 'N' Treats". "Sweet Creations" is a pretty common name, so I figured I'd change it to something a little different ;). My URL is still the same, though.

Also, a big thanks goes to my older sister (@ CountryGirlWebDesign.com) who has re-designed my blog and fixed-up all of the HTML. So, I hope you enjoy the new layout!