Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Chocolate Cherry Cream Cake


Today was my oldest sister's 23rd birthday (Happy B-day, Q!). See her work on her blogs - Got Down Syndrome, Hoppin' Herd of Hares and Country Girl Web Design)

Maybe not exactly pretty, but a nice mess.

With some cherries on hand and a instant pudding recipe I created yesterday (made in the Vita-Mix, with a surprise ingredient - yes, we are having fun with this "blender on steroids" ;) ), I made this cake today for her birthday. But after adding the second layer of moist oat flour chocolate cake - that crumbled, and I thought it was going to be a disaster. But, I poured some cherry sauce over the pudding mess and added the third layer of cake - it ended up holding together pretty well.

Moist chocolate cake oozing with puddin' and cherry sauce.
So, after all this turned out pretty good - very moist chocolate cake, vanilla pudding, cherries and toppings don't hurt ;). I decided against using frosting, and I think it was sweet enough without. You could go the frosting route, but I think it would be pretty rich - is that a bad thing? It just depends on what you're in the mood for ;). In other words, feel free to cover it in rich ganache, or just throw on some chocolate chips and cherries.


Chocolate Cherry Cream Cake (Gluten, Dairy, Corn-free)
Hanunyah Creation

3 11-inch round layers of oat flour chocolate cake (3 times the recipe)

Cream Filling:
1 3/4 cups cooked rice
1/4 cup sugar
1 to 2 tablespoons vanilla
3/4 to 1 cup water


Cherry Filling:
1 cup fresh or frozen cherries
1/4 cup water
3 tablespoons sugar

1. Combine all cream filling ingredients in the Vita-Mix. Blend on high for a couple minutes, adding enough water until smooth and desired consistency is reached. Cool.

2. In a small saucepan, combine all cherry filling ingredients over medium-high heat. Stir until it comes to a boil and is thick. Cool.

3. To assemble - place one cooled cake layer, bottom side up, on a large platter. Set aside. Pour the cream filling on top of the cake layer on the platter. Top with the second layer of cake. Spread the cherry filling over that. Place the remaining cake over that and top with frosting or whatever you want - chocolate chips, cherries, marshmallows, etc.

A sticky mess with some kind of weird gap in there . . . 


~ Hanunyah

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments? Suggestions? I like hearing from you!

new design + name

As of 1-3-12: I've re-named my blog name (which used to be "Hanunyah's Sweet Creations") to "Ranch Girl's Sweets 'N' Treats". "Sweet Creations" is a pretty common name, so I figured I'd change it to something a little different ;). My URL is still the same, though.

Also, a big thanks goes to my older sister (@ CountryGirlWebDesign.com) who has re-designed my blog and fixed-up all of the HTML. So, I hope you enjoy the new layout!