Monday, September 26, 2011

Divinity

Since I made divinity last time (first time I made divinity) my sister said she likes it and wants me to make it again. So I just finished making it today - and it was a hit just like last time (but it is a different flavor this time).


Divinity (Gluten-free, Dairy-free, Corn-free)
Adapted from FoodNetwork.com



2 1/2 cups sugar, divided*
3/4 cups water, divided
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
2 egg whites
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
1. In a large saucepan over medium heat, bring 1/4 cup water to a boil. Add 1/2 cup sugar and stir until dissolved. Add the remaining sugar, water and the cream of tartar. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Continue to boil, undisturbed, until the mixture reaches the hard ball stage, 265 degrees F on a candy thermometer. Remove from the heat.

2. In a standing electric mixer, whip the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Working very slowly, add the sugar syrup in a thin, steady stream, and continue beating on high speed until the candy begins to lose its shine - this can take as long as 10 or 15 minutes, depending on your mixer. (When adding the hot sugar syrup to the egg whites, make sure to stop occasionally to scrape down the bowl if any syrup has collected on the sides. When the beaters are lifted out of the candy mixture, it should fall in a smooth thick ribbon that mounds on itself.

3. Working quickly, fold in the vanilla if desired, and drop by tablespoonfuls onto waxed paper. Cool completely before serving. The candies should firm up as they cool. Store in an airtight container.

Notes:
*I used brown sugar because we don't have any vanilla - they said it tasted like caramel.

This is best made on a low-humidity day or in a dry location; damp conditions will prevent divinity from firming up.







~ Hanunyah

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments? Suggestions? I like hearing from you!

new design + name

As of 1-3-12: I've re-named my blog name (which used to be "Hanunyah's Sweet Creations") to "Ranch Girl's Sweets 'N' Treats". "Sweet Creations" is a pretty common name, so I figured I'd change it to something a little different ;). My URL is still the same, though.

Also, a big thanks goes to my older sister (@ CountryGirlWebDesign.com) who has re-designed my blog and fixed-up all of the HTML. So, I hope you enjoy the new layout!