Monday, October 24, 2011

31 for 21: Citrus Fruit Bread


This is a favorite of my family - it is very moist, tender and flavorful.

Citrus Fruit Bread (Gluten and Dairy)
Adapted from AllRecipes.com


2 cups rice flour

1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder*
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon grated orange zest, (optional)
1 1/2 cups fresh fruit (hint: cranberries)
1/4 cup lard or oil
1 cup white sugar
1 egg
3/4 cup citrus juice (hint: orange)

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan. Whisk together flour, baking powder and baking soda. Stir in orange zest and fruit. Set aside.

2. In a large bowl, cream together lard, sugar, and egg until smooth. Stir in orange juice. Beat in flour mixture until just moistened. (DO NOT over-beat). Pour into prepared pan.

3. Bake for about 45 minutes in the preheated oven, or until when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.



Notes:
*With baking soda and cream of tartar this fell, but with baking powder it didn't as much. You may use that substitute (1/2 baking soda, 1/2 cream of tartar) to make it corn-free - it may fall, but it still tastes the same ;).
This could use some gums or some kind of binder because it's quite crumbly.
To make orange cranberry bread, use orange juice for the juice and cranberries for the fruit.




I think I made this one with peaches and grapefruit or lime juice




~ Hanunyah



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments? Suggestions? I like hearing from you!

new design + name

As of 1-3-12: I've re-named my blog name (which used to be "Hanunyah's Sweet Creations") to "Ranch Girl's Sweets 'N' Treats". "Sweet Creations" is a pretty common name, so I figured I'd change it to something a little different ;). My URL is still the same, though.

Also, a big thanks goes to my older sister (@ CountryGirlWebDesign.com) who has re-designed my blog and fixed-up all of the HTML. So, I hope you enjoy the new layout!