Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Disguised Dessert Pizza


Another dessert pizza . . . this one looking more like a real pizza - cookie crust, a unusual (but sweet) red sauce I came up with, and grated white almond bark for cheese.
      I was wondering around in the kitchen looking for ideas for making something that would taste good, but look like red sauce. First, I attempted some kind of brown sugar sauce, but after making it, it didn't look like that would work too well. I didn't want to mess with the stove anymore, since it was getting somewhat warm in the kitchen. So I thought I'd just make a quick no-cook topping. I picked up some kind of red hot pepper that looked like it needed used (I thought - why not? my mom likes spicy stuff, and remember how well the jalepeno peanut brittle went down? I ended up not using it though, because I debated how good it would be in this). Hmmmmmm . . . . carrots? If I could chop them up very fine, I might reach the somewhat grainy look of red sauce. They are also used in desserts sometimes, and have a mild, sweet flavor. And, since they're orange, that could help with the color, too. So, I decided - I put a carrot in the food processor. Since cream cheese went down very well in the Peanut Butter Cheesecake Dessert Pizza, I asked my sister if we had cream cheese. "Yes". Okay, that's what I'm going to use, then! I also added a little nutmeg and cinnamon, and poppy and flaxseeds to look like seasoning.

After all, this went over well. One of my sisters didn't get a piece since I took it over to the neighbors, where at least 25 people were. But, I still have a little almond bark left, so I can make it again. The neighbor/friend kids (where we go over almost every Monday for dinner, and they always look forward to my desserts), said it tasted like pumpkin pie (because of the little nutmeg and cinnamon I added). You can leave the spices out, if you want. Also, my brothers and sisters had a hard time trying to guess what was in the red sauce. They said it didn't taste like carrots.





Disguised Dessert Pizza
Hanunyah Creation


Crust:
1/2 cup lard
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon guar gum
1/2 teaspoon baking soda + 3/4 teaspoon cream of tartar (or 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder, if not corn-free)
1 1/4 cups flour



Sauce and Topping:
1 carrot, very finely chopped in the food processor
1/4 cup cream cheese
2 to 3 tablespoons brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg (optional)
1/4 teaspoon poppyseeds
1/2 teaspoon flaxseeds
a few drops red food color


1. Preheat oven to 350F. Combine all of the crust ingredients. Spread in a greased round baking pan (I use a 11 inch stoneware baking pan).


2. Combine all of the topping ingredients exept the almond bark. Grate almond bark over the pizza (I used about 1/2 of a 2 ounce piece).


Carrots in the food processor. Make sure you get them very fine.

Enjoy!!




~ Hanunyah

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments? Suggestions? I like hearing from you!

new design + name

As of 1-3-12: I've re-named my blog name (which used to be "Hanunyah's Sweet Creations") to "Ranch Girl's Sweets 'N' Treats". "Sweet Creations" is a pretty common name, so I figured I'd change it to something a little different ;). My URL is still the same, though.

Also, a big thanks goes to my older sister (@ CountryGirlWebDesign.com) who has re-designed my blog and fixed-up all of the HTML. So, I hope you enjoy the new layout!