Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Tropical Carrot Apple Cake

I made this tonight, and it was really good!
      I was in a little hurry, because I was making it for dessert and I started at 4:30pm. But it was actually pretty easy, and didn't take that long. My sister had made cream cheese (from goat milk), so since we didn't have any powdered sugar (and I didn't feel like grinding any), I slathered plain ol' cream cheese on the cake just before serving - much easier than grinding powdered sugar, mixing up frosting, and, therefore, dirtying more dishes.
  
     It was a hit, and my sister gave it a 5 star rating :). It has a good combination of flavors and it's pretty moist. I also didn't notice any grainy texture.

Tropical Carrot Apple Cake (Gluten-free, Dairy-free, Corn-free)
Adapted from Gluten-free Goddess







3 large eggs
1/2 cup oil
1 cup light brown sugar, packed
1/3 cup pineapple juice (I may use water or milk next time, if we don't have it on hand)
2 teaspoons safe vanilla extract
1 tablespoon honey (for added moisture)
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ginger
2 cups rice flour
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
2 teaspoons baking soda
3/4 cup flaked sweetened coconut (I used less, because that was all we had on hand)
1 1/2 cups finely grated carrots
1 cup shredded apple

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 11-inch round cake pan (I used a silicone pan).

In a mixing bowl beat the eggs; add the oil and beat; add the brown sugar and beat till smooth. Beat in the juice, vanilla, honey, and spices. Add in the flour, baking soda, and cream of tartar, and beat till combined. Add in the coconut, carrots, and apples; stir to combine.

Spread the batter evenly in the cake pan; and place the pan in the center of a preheated oven. Bake until the cake is firm, and a wooden pick inserted into the center emerges clean, about 40 to 45 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.

Frost with your cream cheese or cream cheese frosting.


~ Hanunyah

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments? Suggestions? I like hearing from you!

new design + name

As of 1-3-12: I've re-named my blog name (which used to be "Hanunyah's Sweet Creations") to "Ranch Girl's Sweets 'N' Treats". "Sweet Creations" is a pretty common name, so I figured I'd change it to something a little different ;). My URL is still the same, though.

Also, a big thanks goes to my older sister (@ CountryGirlWebDesign.com) who has re-designed my blog and fixed-up all of the HTML. So, I hope you enjoy the new layout!