Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Homemade Butterfinger Candy Bars

A coule months ago or so I was working on making my own recipe for butterfingers. I made up an idea and tried it - melting sugar, adding peanut butter and baking soda. I tried it and it worked . . . mostly. They were too hard. I made them making slight variations. It wasn't perfect, and I sort of forgot about it. I did use the hard butterfinger-flavored candy in a cheesecake . . . that was very good, and I repeated that even thought the candy wasn't just right.

My little sister (who just turned 8) has been in the kitchen a lot lately. She makes donuts, almost completely by herself! Yesterday she wanted to make hard candy, but we couldn't make the one we usually make because we were out of corn syrup and cream of tartar (it would crystalize without one of those). But, I remembered that the butterfingers didn't need one of those. So, I added some sugar to a pot and told her to stir it. I stirred, and gathered the other ingredients. As a somewhat last-minute decision, I decided to add another 1/2 cup of peanut butter because I remembered that they were too hard last I made them. After pouring into the pan and washing the pot, I went to score them and ta-da! I think it worked! Once they were completely cooled, I realized it was a success. They were almost just right, but I think they needed to tad more crunchy. So, I think 1 1/3 cups peanut butter would be perfect, not 1 cup and not 1 1/2 cups.

A quick note . . . I've never got to dipping these every time I've made them ;).

Homemade Butterfinger Candy Bars
Hanunyah Creation
gluten-free, dairy-free, corn-free

2 cups sugar, white or brown
1 1/3 cups peanut butter
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1 teaspoon baking soda

In a medium-size pot over medium to medium-high heat, add the 2 cups sugar. Stirring constantly, melt the sugar with NO water, only sugar in the pot. First it becomes clumps, then the clumps melt. Stir until there are no chunks left. Even if you use white sugar, the sugar should be a dark golden color at this point. Remove from heat immediately.

Add the peanut butter, vanilla and baking soda and quickly stir to combine. Pour into the prepared pan.

After a few minutes (when it's not really hot but it's not cool) deeply score into bars - big or small depending on your preference. Cool completely, break apart and dip in melted chocolate (if they make it to that point, that is ;) ).


Sorry I don't have a picture of these to share . . . I plan on making (and dipping) them to take pictures sometime soon. Right now we're out of chocolate chips, though.

~ Hanunyah

Link Parties:
Gluten-free Wednesdays @ The Gluten-Free Homemaker

2 comments:

  1. I thought you would like to try my mother's recipe for peanut butter crunch which I always thought tasted like butterfingers candy. She died 25 years ago but I still love this candy.She also made pecan nougat logs one Easter and I still dream about them! I got my love for cooking, baking and candy making from her and have passed it on to my girls now. A wonderful heritage. Nice website: ) and good recipes!

    Rose's daughter.

    Rose's Candy

    Boil together to 300 degrees

    3 1/4 cups sugar
    1 1/4 c light Karo syrup
    1 c hot water

    4 c peanut butter

    Spread peanut butter on 11x14 pan and then pour boiled syrup over it. Stir well with wooden spoon until mixed and work rapidly. Cut with kitchen shears when cool.

    Be very careful with this syrup because it is SO hot. No little kids around it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and I'll have to try that recipe sometime. Thanks again! :)

      Delete

Questions? Comments? Suggestions? I like hearing from you!

new design + name

As of 1-3-12: I've re-named my blog name (which used to be "Hanunyah's Sweet Creations") to "Ranch Girl's Sweets 'N' Treats". "Sweet Creations" is a pretty common name, so I figured I'd change it to something a little different ;). My URL is still the same, though.

Also, a big thanks goes to my older sister (@ CountryGirlWebDesign.com) who has re-designed my blog and fixed-up all of the HTML. So, I hope you enjoy the new layout!