Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Chocolate Chip Cookies


I finally made CCCs. Since going GF my cousin said he hadn't tasted a good gluten-free chocolate chip cookie, until yesterday. These were a major hit! Oh, and I must mention, we aren't grinding flour anymore because we bought some through a co-op that is about the same price as grinding our own. And it is amazing flour! It's very, very, very fine - it's about the same as gluten flour but cheaper! I made these, Neapolatin Cookies, and Cinnamon Rolls (posting later), and they were all great!

*Update - August 5, 2011: These are good baked as cookies, but are way, way better baked as bars. It's easier, too - spread  the dough on a cookie sheet and bake. This way they are chewier, and the chocolate chips go to the bottom, so it's like a layer bar. 





Chocolate Chip Cookies (Gluten-free, Dairy-free, Corn-free)

1/2 cup shortening or lard
1/4 cup white sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract (make sure it's safe)
1 1/4 cups rice flour (or other GF flour)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. guar gum
1/2 tsp. baking soda + 3/4 tsp. cream of tartar (or 1 tsp. baking powder, if not corn-free)
6 oz. (1 cup) safe chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, cream shortening with sugars until light 
and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla. Add flour, salt, guar gum, baking soda, and cream of tartar. Mix in chocolate chips. Drop dough by tablespoons on a greased cookie sheet. 

Bake 7-9 minutes or JUST UNTIL edges are light brown (unless you want crunchy, hard cookies). (The cookies WILL NOT look completely cooked when you pull them out of the oven). Let cookies cool on a wire baking rack or the cookie sheet for 5-10 minutes. This will allow cookies to retain their shape for eating.
~ Hanunyah


Linked to Gluten-Free Wednesdays by The Gluten-Free Homemaker and 
Shindig Saturday by Kim's Kandy Kreations


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments? Suggestions? I like hearing from you!

new design + name

As of 1-3-12: I've re-named my blog name (which used to be "Hanunyah's Sweet Creations") to "Ranch Girl's Sweets 'N' Treats". "Sweet Creations" is a pretty common name, so I figured I'd change it to something a little different ;). My URL is still the same, though.

Also, a big thanks goes to my older sister (@ CountryGirlWebDesign.com) who has re-designed my blog and fixed-up all of the HTML. So, I hope you enjoy the new layout!