Saturday, October 16, 2010

Layer Bars (a GF version of Seven Layer Bars)

Seven Layer Bars seem to be somewhat popular, but you might think since going GF you can not make those anymore. Well, that is not the case. This gluten-free version is made with no graham cracker crust. Beware, though, what brand of butterscotch chips you use, because some contain gluten. Just read labels.


Allrecipes.com, has a little section of gluten-free recipes, if you write in the search "gluten-free", you should get lots of results. I found this recipe by doing that, and looking through the recipes.


These are easy, and were yummy. I didn't get a picture.


I used a substitute for the sweetened condensed milk though. This recipe is from http://www.cooks.com/. Here is the recipe for the sweetened condensed milk substitute I used (below).


Sweetened Condensed Milk Substitute

2 eggs
1 c. brown sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
2 tbsp. GF flour (I used 2 Tbsp corn flour, and 1 Tbsp corn starch)
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt

Mix all ingredients and use as a substitute for sweetened condensed milk in recipes for pies, bars and desserts.

Ok, now to the bar recipe. You may use a mixture of different kinds of chips and nuts.

Gluten-Free Layer Bars



Ingredients

  • 7 ounces flaked coconut (I think I used about 1 1/3 cups)
  • 1 cup butterscotch chips
  • 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
  • 1 cup peanuts
  • 1/2 cup sliced almonds (I didn't use these)
  • 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk (or substitute listed above)

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F ( 175 degrees C ). Generously grease one 13x9 inch baking pan.
  2. Spread 2/3 of the flaked coconut evenly on the bottom of the baking pan. Sprinkle the butterscotch morsel, chocolate chips, and peanuts evenly over the coconut layer. Pour condensed milk evenly over the whole pan. Top with sliced almonds and remaining coconut . Bake for 20 minutes in the preheated oven. Cool completely before cutting into squares.






 ~ Hanunyah

31 for 21 Blog Challenge!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Comments? Suggestions? I like hearing from you!

new design + name

As of 1-3-12: I've re-named my blog name (which used to be "Hanunyah's Sweet Creations") to "Ranch Girl's Sweets 'N' Treats". "Sweet Creations" is a pretty common name, so I figured I'd change it to something a little different ;). My URL is still the same, though.

Also, a big thanks goes to my older sister (@ CountryGirlWebDesign.com) who has re-designed my blog and fixed-up all of the HTML. So, I hope you enjoy the new layout!